Blog 4 Dat Style: The Best Action Movie One Liner Tournament Part 2
Missed part 1? Click here to check it out. Click the links as we go if you haven’t seen the lines before!
Round of 32
1. “Hasta la vista, baby.” Terminator 2 – Versus – 8. “Leave anything for us? Just bodies.” Commando
Arnold vs. Arnold! I remember as a kid saying “Hasta la vista.” The line was said as Arnold blew away the T-1000 into a million pieces after being frozen. If you have seen the movie, it is burned into your vision. T-1000 melts and forms back, soon to return though. “Just bodies,” is the way Arnold leaves Commando after killing every son of a bitch there. Commando, however, does not stand up to the Terminator. With a vote of 3-0… Winner: “Hasta la vista, baby.”
2. “You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?” Batman – Versus – 7. ”Sounds like you’ve had a hard life. Yeah. Good thing it’s over.” The Condemned
With the new adaptation of the Batman story, many youngsters have never heard the cold hearted Jack Napier tell the famous quote to Bruce Wayne moments after killing his parents, thus giving birth to Batman. It’s said a few other times in the movie, each having a different meaning and context as the movie builds. Steve Austin delivers his line as moments before taking someones life. Austin gets stunned in this one as Batman rolls 3-0. Winner: “You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?”
3. “I used to fuck guys like you in prison.” Road House – Versus – 6. “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass… and I’m all out of bubblegum.” They Live
Road House was a great 80’s action movie. In one of the ending fight scenes, Patrick Swayze was getting his ass whipped before turning the tides, but not before hearing that classic line. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper must like his bubble gum, but ran out before killing a bunch of aliens in They Live. This one was a tough match up, giving us our first upset with a vote of 2-1. Winner: “I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass… and I’m all out of bubblegum.”
4. “They may take our lives, but they’ll never take… OUR FREEDOM!” Braveheart – Versus – 5. “You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.” Cobra
Mel Gibson, before he went nuts, gives a passionate speech to his fellow Scotsmen to make the ultimate sacrifice and push for their freedom. Sly Stallone doesn’t take shit from anyone in Cobra, and scores our second straight upset 2-1. Winner: “You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.”
The WTF Bracket!
1. “Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.” Die Hard – Versus – 8. “Dyin’ ain’t much of a living, boy.” The Outlaw Josey Wales
John McClane gets shot at, nearly blown up, crushed, sliced and runs barefoot through broken glass before killing the bad guys and delivering Yippee-ki-yay. Josey Wales gives fair warning before in this western classic, but gets smoked in this matchup 3-0. Winner: “Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker.”
2. “This is Sparta!” 300 – Versus – 7. ”This… is my boomstick!” Army of Darkness
300 was a in your face adaptation of Frank Miller and Lynn Varley’s graphic novel that was quite frankly graphic. I really can’t imagine anyone else screaming from deep inside themselves the way Gerard Butler did. Bruce Campbell bring his cult classic and BOOMSTICK to this fight, but is no match for the Spartans. with a 3-0 vote… Winner: “This is Sparta!”
3. “Warriors, Come Out to Play.” The Warriors – Versus – 6. “With great power comes great responsibility.” Spider-Man
The Warriors get called out by the Rouges, asking them to come out to play and throw shit down. Uncle Ben, in Spider-Man, explains to Peter Parker that his abilities will give him the burden and challenge to protect those who need protecting and to live by a different code than most even though Uncle Ben doesn’t know Peter’s true calling. Uncle Ben’s words helped motivate and gave Spider-Man words to live by, which didn’t go unnoticed by the Blog 4 Dat crew giving this line a 3-0 win. Winner: “With great power comes great responsibility.”
4. “Get to the choppa!” Predator – Versus – 5. “Call me ‘Snake’.” Escape from New York
Arnold’s back with one of his classic lines’s from Predator. Moments after his plan to lure the alien into his trap fails, he warns his friend Anna to get out of there, seemingly sacrificing himself for her well-being. Plissken makes sure everyone knows who he is, telling his adversaries to call him “Snake.” Even Snake couldn’t escape from this matchup, falling 3-0. Winner: “Get to the choppa!”
Now get to the CHOPPA!
Crazy round one action is halfway through. Tune in tomorrow to catch the second half of the Round of 32 and who moves on to the Sweet 16 of the Best Action Movie Line ever!